HISTORIC HOMES on the 56th Annual Tour

     These brief histories (included in Historic Beaufort, North Carolina - A Unique Coastal Village Preserved) will provide attendees with background on these historic homes and families. Once on the tour, volunteer docents will guide visitors through the homes, pointing out specific highlights and characteristics unique to each. There are a total of 13 houses on the tour - including the 1940s Fishing Cottage at 2111 Front Street and the new Thrower-Stevenson Home at 1019 Ann Street.
     SCROLL DOWN . . .      

Potter-Saunders House circa 1910 - 701 Ann Street

      In 1904, Hannah Bell Murray and brother Thomas Dudley Murray sold this lot to James H. Potter Sr. and wife Nancy Bell Murray. 
      In 1925, Potter sold to F.E. Wilson. In 1927, Wilson sold to Beaufort Lumber & Mfg., who deeded to Harry Saunders in 1936. Harry Ivory Saunders (1905‒1991), born in Wilmington to Lennie F. Saunders and Mary Rosa Murphy, married Annie Lillian Harris about 1929. 
      In the home in 1940 were Harry, Lillian, 9-year-old Blanche A., and 7-year-old Virginia D. Saunders, along with four boarders, three of whom were teachers. Saunders' WWII registration card noted his address as Ann Street and owner of Johnson & Saunders Dry Cleaning. By 1963, Johnson & Saunders Dry Cleaning Company was located on Live Oak Street in Beaufort.
     1997 Survey: 1½-story, side-gable bungalow with shed dormer and exposed rafter tails. Interior and exterior brick chimneys, 4/1 paired sash, shed porch with Craftsman posts and brick veneer walls.

Lewis House - Mid to late 19th century - 1022 Ann Street

   Wilbur Fulford Lewis (1872–1958) was the only surviving child of Fulford B. Lewis (1836–c.1900) and Mary Matilda "Polly" Robinson (1840–c.1910). Wilbur’s parents were married in 1863 and were on Gordon Street by 1870. In 1892, Wilbur married Lula F. Lewis, daughter of James Knox Polk Lewis and Bethania Guthrie.
     By 1900, Wilbur's family was on Ann Street with widowed mother "Polly." Wilbur was a boatman for "U.S. Engineer Department." He and Lula were parents of Leslie Davis, Ollie Herndon, Dorothy Bell, Nelson Taylor, Elizabeth Blanche and Kathleen Lewis. In the home in 1940 were Wilbur F. 67, Lula 66, Dorothy 40, and 14-year-old grandson Marion Lewis.
     1997 Survey: This much altered, 1½-story, side-gable house has plain siding, boxed eaves with returns, 6/6 and 4/4 sash and replacement front picture window. The attached porch includes replacement Doric columns and plain railing. 

Thomas-Humphrey House circa 1906 -217 Front Street

     In 1853, Eliza Lente Vail (1782–1853) left this property to her sister Maria Lente Manney. In 1866, Maria's children sold to Isaac Ramsey. Noted on Gray's 1880 Map as "Misses Davis," sisters Mary and Sarah later sold to Benjamin J. Bell.
     Dr. Francis Moore Clarke (705 Front) sold what was then the old Manney house to Thomas Thomas for $1950. Thomas Thomas (1883–1937), grandson of Capt. Thomas Thomas and Martha Dudley Murray (301 Front), was the oldest son of William Alonzo Thomas and Rosetta Howland Manney. On June 14, 1905, Thomas married Rosa May Gordon (1881–1955) and built this 2-story dwelling on the site of the old Manney house. Louise Gordon Thomas, Thomas and Rosa's first child, remembered growing up in the house with the oyster-shell road between it and the wharf. Twin brothers, Thomas and Edward, were born 1910. The Thomas family lived here until 1917. 


     John William Humphrey (1884–1942) married Eva Lane Pittman (1886–1977) in 1910. About 1927, John and Eva moved to Beaufort from Clark, North Carolina. In 1941, they purchased this Front Street home. John Humphrey owned and operated Holly Grove Dairy on the northern edge of Beaufort. Members of the Humphrey family owned and lived in this home until 2007.
     1997 Survey: Traditional Queen Anne/Colonial Revival house, deck-on-hip roof with widow's walk, upper level bay window and front cross-gable. 1-story porch, with tracery-transom entrance, has Doric columns and turned railing.    

W.W. Lewis House circa 1915 - 120 Ann Street

     Canelium Clarence Guthrie built this house for Warden Lewis. For over fifty years, Warden Whitfield Lewis (1851–1935) was minister of Free Will Baptist Church in Russell's Creek.
      The son of Elijah W. Lewis and Mary Potter, Warden Lewis married Deborah Virginia Davis in 1872. Warden and Deborah were parents of John E., Daisy Watson, Marvin Warden, Jane Davis and Mary Manson Lewis. After Deborah died in 1901, Lewis married Laura Caroline Simpson; their son, Clifford Whitfield Lewis, became a physician. In the home in 1930 were: Warden 78, Laura 64, and 27-year-old Clifford Lewis. Rev. W.W. Lewis was buried in Ocean View Cemetery.
     1997 Survey: 2-story, Foursquare house with pyramidal hipped roof, plain siding, boxed and molded eaves. Hipped porch has brick piers and Doric columns. Original glazed and paneled door.

Charles Adair House circa 1884 - 210 Broad Street

        In 1884, Nathan Lafayette Carrow and wife Emma Brooks sold Old Town Lot 105 to Beaufort builder Charles Denby Adair (1860–1924). That same year, Charles, son of James Adair and Mary Foreman, married Sabra J. Longest, daughter of John R. Longest and Mary Ann Walker.
     Charles and Sabra Adair had three children: Lola Gray, Carlton S. and Rosa B. Adair. About 1916, Lola Gray Adair married carpenter and mariner Samuel Jarvis Scott. Recorded in the home by 1930 were: Samuel 58, Lola 36, 12-year-old son Jarvis Adair Scott and mother-in-law Sabra Longest Adair.
     1997 Survey: Intact, gable-and-wing Italianate house has boxed eaves with returns, interior brick chimneys and 6/6 sash. Front wing has paired 4/4 sash with molded drip cornice. Original hipped porch has chamfered posts with Doric capitals, traditional railing. Original 4-panel door with transom and sidelights.

Joseph Piver House circa 1828 - 313 Orange Street

    This house has been RECENTLY RESTORED (photo from book) - Home to distiller James G. Noe in 1850, in 1883, son and carpenter John West Noe and wife Susan J. Adair deeded the property to fisherman James Willis and wife Esther Piver. Daughter Hannah Willis, who married fisherman John W. Gardner about 1855, inherited the property. By 1940, son Alonzo Thomas Gardner, a "registered state auditor," was here with wife Annie L. Merrill.
     1997 Survey: 1½-story, side-gable coastal cottage with engaged porch, beaded siding, stuccoed exterior end chimney with paved shoulders. House was remodeled in Craftsman style with wide eaves, exposed rafter tails, central gabled dormer and Craftsman porch posts and railing. 

Mary Hendrick House circa 1904 - 124 Queen Street

      In 1865, Mary Elizabeth Sabiston (1841‒1925), daughter of Sarah Owen and John Sabiston, married William H. Hendrick (1834‒1925) of Adams County, Pennsylvania. Their two known children were: Elizabeth D., born 1872 and William Thompson Hendrick (1877‒1910).  
     The Hendricks lived on Ann, then Orange Street. The couple was not recorded on Queen Street until the 1920 census. They both died in 1925, William on March 28, at age 90 and Mary Elizabeth on August 24, at age 83.
     From the mid 1930s until mid 1950s, this was home to Mary Potter Shaw (1883‒1961) widow of Albert Arthur Privette. Mary was born to William Wallace Shaw and Mary Caroline "Mamie" Chadwick, daughter of Robert Withers Chadwick and Mary Elizabeth Potter. 

     From about 1956, until her death in 1961, "Aunt Mary" Privette had an apartment in the original Inlet Inn on Front Street.
     1997 Survey: 1½-story, side-gable house had three projecting wall dormers, original paneled front door with 3-light transom and hipped porch with chamfered posts and traditional railing.  (The survey dated the house c.1890.)

E.H. Potter House circa 1918 - 107 Marsh Street

    Edward Hartman Potter, manager of Beaufort Ice Company, was in this home by the 1930 census: Edward 47, Alma R. 34, Alma 13, Edward H. Jr. 10, Sarah 8, and first cousins, Thomas Hancock 9, and 7-year-old "Betsy" Russell. Thomas and Betsy were the children of Nathaniel and Maude Russell (see 111 Marsh). 
     Edward Hartman Potter (1883–1956), son of James Hollister Potter Sr. and Nannie Murray, married Alma C. Russell (1896–1981). Edward and Alma were still living in the house when he died in 1956.
     1997 Survey: 1-story, 3-bay Craftsman bungalow with hipped roof, plain siding, exposed rafter tails, 4/1 sash, 1 interior end chimney, and engaged porch with Doric posts and gabled entrance bay.

Wiley H. Taylor House circa 1911 - 206 Marsh Street

     C.C. Guthrie built the home for Wiley Taylor. Born on the "Hellen Farm" in the community of Bettie, Wiley Higgins Taylor (1879–1970), son of Edwin Warren Taylor and Emeline Bryan Hellen, first married Sallie Ward Bell in 1904. About 1919, he married Ruth Elizabeth Ives of Grifton.
     Wiley Taylor was employed in a local wholesale grocery business, known as Beaufort Grocery. He served several terms as a Beaufort Commissioner and worked on the mailboat to Ocracoke before his appointment as postmaster.
     USPS: On August 31, 1933, Wiley Higgins Taylor Sr. assumed the postmastership at Beaufort. He retained that office for almost sixteen years. During Taylor's tenure, the town post office was relocated to 701–703 Front Street; he also supervised the hanging of one of Beaufort's unique assets, the post office murals. In 1940, Wiley Higgins Taylor Sr. was appointed "lifetime postmaster" for Beaufort by the United States Senate. He retired in May 1949. 
     1997 Survey: 2-story, Foursquare house with hipped roof, plain siding, hipped dormer, boxed eaves, interior brick chimney, sash with molded caps and front door with sidelights and transom. Hipped porch with Doric columns and turned railing. 
 

Rev. Jones House circa 1840 - 819 Broad Street

     During the Civil War, the house is said to have been used as an auxiliary hospital morgue. In 1874, Rev. Jones sold the house to son Benjamin Leecraft Jones (1838–1904) and wife Orpha Neal Gibbs (1844–1934) for $600; they became parents of John Leecraft, Hugh Cole, William Howard and Mary Gibbs Jones. With Winfield Scott Chadwick, Benjamin Leecraft Jones formed Chadwick & Jones Drygoods, and later Carteret Fish Oil and Guano Company.
      As noted in Early Domestic Architecture in Beaufort, North Carolina, Summer Field Study 2012: "Said to date from around 1840, this imposing, nearly square, Greek Revival house with its 2-story pedimented portico was probably built in the 1850s, based on the copious use of circular sawn framing members combined with sash sawn material. The shallow-pitched roof has a circular-sawn ridge board; gable studs of the portico are cut with a circular saw." 
  


Edwin E. Willis House circa 1910 - 1018 Ann Street

     This house has been RECENTLY RESTORED (photo from book) - In 1899, Purse-seine fisherman Edwin Edward Willis, born in 1876 to Samuel H. Willis and Martha Ann Willis, married Emma Julia Lewis, daughter of carpenter James Knox Polk Lewis and Bethania Guthrie. Edwin and Emma became parents of Carl Thomas and Claud Wheatley Willis. In 1913, they sold the house to William Floyd Willis.
     In 1907, mariner William Floyd Willis (1884–1954), son of George Easton Willis and Elizabeth Weeks, married Edith Holland Mason, daughter of Holloway Mason and Alice Holland Lewis. William and Edith were parents of William Howard, Alice Holland and Harold Haines Willis. In Southport by 1920, Edith died of pneumonia. William Willis then married Martha Elizabeth Bradham.    
     1997 Survey: 1½-story, side-gable house with interior brick end chimney and attached porch with chamfered posts.